Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Kovalev vs. Ward already having problems

Kathy Duva spoke with Steve Kim earlier today and it seems that the Kovalev vs. Ward fight may be in some jeopardy.


There was a press conference this morning and Andre Ward didn't show.  It was noted that Roc Nation informed Duva that they would not be there today.

"There will be a fight if Andre Ward wants to have a fight, but I can't promise you at this point what they want," Duva told Steve Kim.

"Well Dave Itskowitch, who worked for Roc Nation at the time and I made a deal with the MGM - we had a deal.  The on-sale should've happened now.  They were saying we need signed contracts, blah, blah, I don't think I've ever done a fight where contracts with an arena were signed before they went on sale.  But it seems that every day it's something so I have to assume that either we'll resolve this or we won't.

"My fear, of course, Bob Arum wants to do a fight in Las Vegas on November 5th and wants the November 19th date and if we lose our venue on the 19th my fear is that we'll lose this date and I hope that doesn't happen.

"I really can't give you a day, I really do hope we can work out our differences.  As far as I'm concerned we do have an agreement with MGM and we plan to live up to it.  What Roc Nation decides to do . . . I think it's very telling if they do decide to pull out of the agreement that they made back in June.  Perhaps there's more going on than we know.

Interview courtesy of Steve Kim


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast