Monday, June 1, 2015

Cotto calling shots, not the WBC

Cotto calling shots, not the WBC


Miguel Cotto insists he is the one calling the shots with the middleweight title, not the WBC.  He states that if the WBC is going to try to determine his next opponent, he will vacate the belt.


"If the WBC is the one to determine who they think I should face then I'll simply save myself the 3% and just fight and do what I want," Cotto told Fighthype.  "I will do what I have to do to benefit my career and my family."

So, what does the WBC want Cotto to do?  Fight GGG and or Canelo Alvarez.  Cotto has elected to fight his voluntary defense of his WBC title against Daniel Geale this Saturday.  But, it doesn't sound like he has much interest in his mandatory opponent Gennady Golovkin.  And, who could blame him.   Gennady Golovkin will likely massacre Miguel Cotto.  

The WBC sounds like it is also on board with the Canelo Alvarez matchup next.  Whether Cotto is on board for that remains to be seen.