Monday, June 1, 2015

If it's not a catch weight - you're not fighting Miguel Cotto

If it's not a catch weight - you're not fighting Miguel Cotto


Miguel Cotto and Daniel Geale will fight this Saturday in Brooklyn, New York at the Barclays Center.  The middleweight championship will be on the line that night.  However, they will not fight at the 160 pound middleweight limit.  Instead they will be fighting at a catch weight of 157 pounds.  


I don't have a problem with catch weights, but if it is for a championship, then I think you have to fight at the championship weight.  However, Cotto does not share this same thought.

"I had to do a catch weight at this particular time and anyone who wants to fight me must accept a catch weight or otherwise there is no fight," Cotto told Miguel Rivera.

Daniel Geale is a natural middleweight, who has been forced to cut down to 157 to just get a title shot with Cotto - that's 3 pounds under the 160 limit.  

"I have to be honest - if it's not a title fight then a catch weight is not a problem.  But if you're fighting for a middleweight title, then weight limit is 160 for that fight," Geale told Miguel Rivera.  "I find it funny.  It should be at 160, but I'm not going to complain."


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast