Friday, June 19, 2015

Mayweather says he will go for 50-0


Mayweather says he will go for 50-0


Floyd Mayweather Jr. now says that he will look to break the record of 50-0 set by Rocky Marciano.  For quite a while now, he has been claiming that he would stop at 49-0.  But, it seems as though he has had a change of heart.  


Floyd jokingly stated that he would fight Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield for his next bout.  “I need an Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield to get me ready for my 50th bout,” Mayweather said. “Everyone is saying they want to see No.50.”


More than a few fighters have reached the magical 50-0 mark, but no fighter has ever retired with that many wins and no losses.  If Floyd were to do this, it would definitely be a historical occassion.

As far as Mayweather relinquishing his belts, well, that hasn't exactly happened yet.

“I got belts that I would like to relinquish that I haven’t yet relinquished, and I haven’t yet got my WBO belt,” Mayweather said. “Before I can relinquish something, I have to receive it. I’m just saying. I’ve yet to receive my WBO belt. How is someone about to fight for something that I have yet to receive? Those kinds of things happen in boxing,” Mayweather said.