Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wilder not Likely to return until January 2017

Wilder not Likely to return until January 2017


Follow his eighth round stoppage of Chris Arreola, in July, WBC Heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder will likely not be entering the ring until 2017 do a broken hand and  injuries to his bicep. Both injuries require surgery. In recent interviews with Fightnews.com team Wilder and the Dr had plenty to say. 

“I’ve always known that my body is a fast healing body because I am an elite athlete and the doctor confirmed that. We’re going to pick up where we left off. I’m looking forward to unifying the division. That’s my main goal. I don’t want to stop. I don’t need a tune-up. I don’t need a warm-up. I don’t need none of that. Once everything is healed with the arm, I’m going to get back to right where I left off," stated Wilder.
Dr. Jimmy Robinson, Wilder's surgeon had this to say: “The surgeries were completed by well-renowned surgeons and were an absolute success. I anticipate that Wilder will be back fighting by the end of this year or January of next year. As he is healing, part of his rehab will be to restore range motion to the elbow and get his strength back, which will expedite his recovery. The repair to his right hand should make it as solid and as strong as it can be, so that no further injuries are sustained. In fact, with his rehab, I anticipate the power in his right hand only to increase.”

Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast