Sunday, April 5, 2015

Kahn vs. Algieri - April Fools???

Kahn vs. Algieri - April Fools???


So, Amir Kahn announced a couple of days ago that his next fight has been set against the "hard hitting" Chris Algieri.  There was an incredible backlash after the fight had been announced.  Just about everyone in boxing seemed to be disappointed.  People like Kell Brook, Adrien Broner, Brandon Rios, Tim Bradley, etc. were being mentioned by Kahn.  Instead, Kahn chose to fight Chris Algieri -- or did he??  


I know that I watched a video of Amir Kahn announcing the fight on youtube.  I know I read countless articles and posts that the fight was a joke.  I know what I read and what I saw.  But, somehow today, I find out Chris Algieri may not be the next opponent.  

"Algieri has not been confirmed.  He is one of the guys that we're looking at.  Because basically I wanted the Miguel Cotto fight, but now he's with Roc Nation and he already has a date on June 6th.  I can't fight in June because of Ramadan.  Ramadan is so tough so I need a little break.  So that's why I'm fighting in May," Kahn told Boxing Scene.  

"We are also in talks with Broner, who we face-timed through a mutual friend.  We said that a fight between us could be made so why not get it made.  He said he was up for it, but then what made me realize that maybe he's not is when he said 'I can't do the fight at 147, let's do it at 144 or 145.'  I thought that's strange because he's calling me out and saying 147 - then why not stick to 147.  I can't go down to 145 or 144.  I'm a 147 fighter.  Obviously, it seems to me that he's not interested in that because I can't make 144."

"Eddie Hearn and Kell Brook's team are being disrespectful, saying that I'm fighting a bum.  The guy is a former world champion.  He's beaten fighters like Emmanual Taylor and Ruslan Provodnikov.  He just fought Manny Pacquiao and went the full distance with him, with an A-plus fighter.  I've never said no to any fighter and the same goes for Kell Brook.  He wants to fight in June and I can't fight in June, because of Ramadan," Kahn said.

My guess is that Kahn will actually go through with the fight with Algieri, but I imagine that his stock is going to really drop.  He had the chance to fight a lot of top name fighters, but chose not to go that route.  You can't be shocked that the fans and the boxing public have come out against you.



Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast