Thursday, April 2, 2015

It's Official - Amir Kahn vs. Chris Algieri

It's Official - Amir Kahn vs. Chris Algieri


As reported by Ringside Reporter podcast on Wednesday, Amir Kahn (30-1, 19 KO's) will fight Chris Algieri (20-1, 8 KO's) on May 30 in New York.  A venue has not been selected for the fight yet.

“His last fight was against Manny Pacquiao,” Khan said. “He beat Ruslan Provodnikov, who is an amazing fighter. He beat the likes of Emmanuel Taylor. You can call him [Algieri] an A-class opponent. He just came short against Pacquiao. I like New York. That’s a great venue for me. I think it’s the right fight for me. I think it’s a great fight. Hopefully this will lead me to the bigger fights in the future.”

I think Algieri is a good stepping stone fight for Kahn.  He doesn't seem to bring a lot of power to the table to hurt Kahn and Amir definitely has the speed advantage and boxing pedigree.

This is a disappointing fight given the fact that Adrien Broner and Kell Brook were on the table for Kahn to match up against.  I'm sure he could have even fought Tim Bradley.  The problem I have with this is that Kahn is trying to pass off Algieri as one of the top fighters in the division.  I don't believe he is one of the top fighters in the division, especially when he was massacred by Pacquiao in his last fight.  The fight before that, was an extremely questionable decision over Ruslan Provodnikov. 

I think this fight will be a springboard to fight Keith Thurman, not the winner of Mayweather - Pacquiao like he hopes.  Very disappointing.



Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast