Monday, April 3, 2017

Deontay Wilder: I'm in another league than Joshua - We don't disagree

Deontay Wilder stated in a recent interview with Fighthype.com that he was on a different level than Anthony Joshua.  


"I definitely feel like I'm on a whole 'nother level than Joshua," Wilder stated to  Fighthype.com. "I've been in this game for a while now. I'm very experienced. I think I've seen every style to see, you know, the major styles that I need to see."

"I think I've seen it, I've learned it, and that's what allows me to adjust in the ring and do my thing. I definitely feel and know that I'm in another league of my own when you compare the two of us. " 

There is no argument that Wilder is on a different level, but that may not be the level he is thinking.  Anthony Joshua has faced stiffer opposition since winning the title and has steadily been improving since he's been champion.  

An argument can be made that Wilder seems to be regressing as a champion.  His last fight against, journeyman, Gerald Washington was extremely lackluster.  Wilder was supposed to come in and demolish Washington, instead found himself losing most of the fight until he caught Washington with a big shot in the fifth round.  Nobody could have imagined Anthony Joshua in the ring with Wilder that night.  Wilder has looked extremely vulnerable as of late skill wise and has not seemed to improve.  He seems to be relying on the knockout, which may not always be there for him.  

Anthony Joshua has greatly improved since his title winning performance against Prince Charles Martin in April of 2016.  The impressive thing about Joshua is that they have been steadily increasing his competition.  If you take a look at Joshua early in his career and look at him now there has been a steady improvement.  The same cannot be said about Wilder.  

Anthony Joshua is set to face Wladimir Klitschko for the WBA and IBF heavyweight titles on April 29.  Over 90.000 are expected to attend Wembley Stadium before the fight.


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast