Sunday, May 3, 2015

Mayweather to relinquish all belts

Mayweather to relinquish all belts


After Mayweather's win on Saturday night, he claimed that he would relinquish the titles that he currently holds at 147 and 154.  
"I don't know if it will be Monday or maybe a couple of weeks," Mayweather stated.  "I'll talk to my team and see what we need to do.  Other fighters need a chance.  Give other fighters a chance.  I'm not greedy."

"I'm a world champion in two different weight classes.  It's time to let other fighters fight for the belt."

How magnanimous of Floyd Mayweather.  Couldn't have anything to do with Keith Thurman being the mandatory WBA Challenger could it?  I don't know, but it will be interesting to see who they choose for his 49th fight.  Amir Kahn's name is already being batted around as a possibility.  Could anyone possibly imagine a Gennady Glolovkin fight at 154?  Well, we can all dream.

Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast