Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Kovalev vs. Ward official for November 19

On Saturday, November 19, Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev (30-0-1, 26 KOs), the WBO, WBA and IBF light heavyweight world champion, and Andre “S.O.G.” Ward (30-0, 15 KOs) the former super middleweight world champion and “Super Six” winner, officially announced their long-awaited showdown following Ward’s victory over Alexander Brand at the conclusion of the live HBO telecast Saturday night at Oracle Arena in Oakland. Kovalev vs. Ward will take place November 19 on HBO Pay-Per-View. Additional details for the event, including ticket information, will be released shortly.


Live on HBO tonight, when asked about whether or not Ward is ready to face him Kovalev said, “I think he is ready. I am ready too. The fight against Chilemba was similar to how it is going to be against Andre Ward. He is a really great champion and he proved this today. I just want to say, let’s do it November 19 on HBO.”



Ward responded, “I am excited, man. I am looking forward to it. I want to be the light heavyweight champion of the world. I got past this step. He got past his step. We will see you in November. I have been doing this for 22 years and if I am not ready to fight the best now then I will never be ready. I have been preparing for these moments since I been a kid. You got to respect Sergey for the way he has gotten to where he has gotten. He didn’t have any soft touches. He wasn’t protected. He wasn’t really pushed by the media. He is a guy who should get a lot more credit than he has. The winner of this fight could possibly be pound-for-pound #1.”

Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter


Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast