Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Carl Froch doesn't sound too interested in GGG

Carl Froch doesn't sound too interested in GGG


As Tom Loeffler famously said on our program - “Saying you’re gonna fight GGG and signing the contract to fight GGG are two different things.”  Never has this rang more true than with Carl Froch.  For a few weeks now there has been much banter about him coming back to fight Gennady Golovkin.  He said that he would back up Golovkin and knock him out.  The fight is going to be made.  Carl Froch is coming out of retirement to fight him . . . NOT SO FAST.  

It now seems that Carl Froch has his eyes set on newly minted champion James DeGale.  What???  Seriously???  Come on.  James DeGale??  Please don’t get me wrong, James DeGale is a good fighter, but would you rather see that fight or a fight with GGG?  

“Retirement is always on my mind and I was hoping to make a decision this week actually, but it looks like I’m not going to be making that announcement,” Froch told the Sports Bar. 

“I would love nothing more than to show the British people what I would do against someone like James DeGale.

“He’s is the newly crowned IBF champion, he’s got my old belt, and it would be nice to go out and say, ‘yes, he’s won the belt, but look what I can do against him.’

“I know what would happen in that fight. That’s an easy fight for me. He’s a bit of a novice pro.
“I thought DeGale just did what he had to do to win the fight [against Dirrell]. I thought he could have pressed it home a little bit more when he got the knockdown, when he seemed off the pace and on the back foot towards the end.

“If he fights someone like me, he wouldn’t get past round eight on that performance. He would get absolutely knocked out.”

James DeGale has been calling out Carl Froch since he won the IBF title.  Carl Froch doesn’t sound so excited anymore for a fight with GGG:

“The only reason I’d like that fight is because it would be really difficult to win," the Cobra added.
"He’s a tough kid, he’s unbeaten and he’s got a knock-out punch. I don’t think many people would give me a chance and you know what, that excites me. I like that.

“Call me stupid, call me brave, call me what you want...that’s a fight I can win.

“[But] there are a lot of factors involved. If I could get myself fit, which is something I think I could do – although I’ve never had a year out of boxing before – I’d fight anybody.”