Thursday, April 23, 2015

Andre Ward vs. Paul Smith is now official for June 20

Andre Ward vs. Paul Smith is now official for June 20


As reported on Ringside Reporter a couple of weeks ago, Andre Ward will face Paul Smith.  The big news is that the bout will be on BET.  That's right, BET will show it's first ever boxing match.  


Andre Ward (27-0) is regarded as one of the top pound for pound fighters in the sport.  He will be taking on a very tough challenge with Paul Smith (35-5) at Oakland's Oracle Arena.

Both men had this to say:


Andre Ward 
“I’m very excited to be coming back on June 20 at Oracle Arena in my hometown of Oakland which has been a long time coming. I’m equally excited to be fighting on BET in front of a potential viewership of over 90 million homes. As a fighter, this diversifies my portfolio and puts me in front of a whole different audience. I have an extremely tough fighter in front of me in Paul Smith who’s looking to pull the upset, but I can’t let that happen. I have to be on my best game to turn Smith away and beat him the way I want to beat him. As always, I’m ready to put on a tremendous performance in front of my hometown fans and those watching on BET. This is a fight you don’t want to miss.”

Paul Smith
“I cannot wait to get back in the ring and test myself against a class act like Andre Ward. I proved that I belong at the top level with my performances against Arthur Abraham and this is a challenge that I am relishing. Andre is a top pound-for-pound fighter and someone I respect a lot, but he has only boxed once in almost three years and I will give it everything I have got. I am fresh and confident going into this fight. It’s a massive opportunity for me and one that I took with both hands when it was offered. I have spent a lot of time boxing in the United States and I look forward to returning for this fight.”



Subscribe to the Ringside Reporter Podcast